Monday 16 May 2011

Lessons I’ve Learnt 17 – Are We Having Fun Yet?

Ask a stall holder at any market, “Are you having a good day?”, many will answer, “no'”, “not really”, “be better if people were spending” etc.

A Lesson I’ve Learnt is not to evaluate the value of my day by other peoples actions. I can’t control other people’s moods, tastes, spending habits, manners and attitudes.

What I can control is how I react to it.  If you were to ask me if I was having a good day you will hear “Yes”. A good day to me is; if I meet somebody new, have laugh, chat to the stall holder next door, learn something, teach something and the list goes on.

Customers are attracted to people who are relaxed and happy. Conversely they sense who is in a Grumpy Gus mood and avoid them. So the next time somebody asks how your day is going, put a smile on your face and say SPECTACULAR. It will change your mood and the customers immediately.

3 comments:

Hot Fudge said...

Well said, Trish!

wimcee said...

Right on, Trish! Although Mum has also noted the case of the desperate smiles markets, when it's so slow that every stall holder with whom she makes eye contact while she's looking around to find me greets her with a super-wide welcoming smile! Shoppers can sense that mood too and it's a bit scary!

Trish Goodfield said...

I agree Steph. It has to be genuine enthusiasm and smiles. Can't beat it.